With SEO responsible for driving over 50% of search traffic, it’s a crucial part of your digital strategy that should have careful consideration.
A poorly planned approach to SEO , or the absence of a detailed and informed strategy, has the potential to de-rail your wider digital marketing efforts.
If you have a website, or are planning one, it’s more than likely you will rely on natural search traffic to drive engagement with your brand. Establishing your SEO strategy and tactics early on will ensure your website isn’t held back. It will avoid technical challenges that can hinder the search performance, so that your brand gains traffic from the right audiences.
The end of the year is the perfect time to revisit your SEO strategy. It’s a chance to review past performance, identify new opportunities and set objectives that have the greatest significance to your business.
Our 5 Top SEO Tips
1. Align your SEO strategy with meaningful goals for your business
- Your SEO strategy should be closely aligned with your business objectives and should be re-visited if they change.
- Keywords aren’t goals, they’re a measure. Make sure you’re clear about what you want from your SEO.
- Devise a strategy in-line with your other digital marketing channels. SEO should complement paid campaigns and vice-versa, it’s not a silo.
2. Start measuring now, with data you can trust.
- A measurement plan will help you identify the right measure and metrics to analyse performance and demonstrate the results of your efforts.
- Ensure your analytics is set-up correctly so you can get the most out of your data. Poor quality data can be as bad as no data.
- Measure from day one to see the impact your tactics have on performance over time. Without this, you won’t see what’s working, and what isn’t.
3. Know your competition, and how to beat them.
- Start by identifying key target categories from your products and services and take a closer look at who’s outperforming you. You may be surprised by who your competition really is.
- Develop a content strategy that will help you stand out in your niche and take advantage of search features relevant to your industry.
- Create high quality over quantity. The search landscape is saturated with low quality, lost content. Create something that people and search engines are interested in reading.
4. Build strong foundations that will support your efforts, not hinder them.
- A good website should have a solid website architecture to ensure accessibility for organic search. Good content can’t fix technical problems.
- Make sure your CMS is designed to support SEO needs. Your content editors should have control over content beyond the copy to be effective. Otherwise, SEO can get expensive.
- If you suddenly get all the traffic can your website support it? Google favours fast websites as much as users, make sure you're fast enough to keep up.
5. Play the long game, SEO takes time.
- Don’t expect results overnight. There is a misconception that you can just “switch SEO on”.
- ROI will build over time, and the benefits of your SEO efforts will be rewarded.